So you spent a long time researching the best mountain bike for big guys but still aren’t sure? I’ve got you covered with this list of the top mountain bikes for heavy riders.
I know the pains of being fat, especially finding items that fit a big and tall body. The good news is that we don’t have to suffer through it. Most persons think that a big guy on a mountain bike is impossible. But in reality, it isn’t far fetched plus mountain biking is also a sport overweight guys can fully enjoy.
So if you want to get into mountain biking as a heavy rider, then the bicycles on this list are perfect for you and your body size. We’ve found the top bikes from manufacturers that will support large guys above 300. Here’s the list:
8 Best Mountain Bike for Big Guys
- Mongoose Dolomite Fat Tire Mens Mountain Bike for big guys
- Merax 26″ Mountain Bicycle for Heavy Men
- Mongoose Impasse Mens Mountain Bike for Big Men
- Schwinn Bonafide Mens Mountain Bike
- Diamondback MTB for Big Guys
- Schwinn S29 Mens Mountain Bike
- Mongoose Vinson Fat Tire Mountain Bike for Bigger Guys
- Schwinn Protocol 1.0 Dual-Suspension Mountain Bike
Mongoose Dolomite Fat Tire Mens Mountain Bike for big guys
One of our favorites and the top-recommended heavy-duty mountain bike for heavy riders is the Mongoose Dolomite. If you like fat-tire bikes, then this one is among the best in that category. The Dolomite Mountain bike is a reliable option to buy for any overweight person for several reasons that I list below.
Reasons to Buy
- Mongoose is a trusted brand with an A grade reputation for quality.
- Fat tires are better in supporting your body weight over rough terrains than any other bike wheel type and soak up bumps to a great extent.
- It will provide a more comfortable ride than most other mountain bikes.
- This bike comes with Shimano rear derailleur that is pretty good and has seven speeds, so it’ll be easy to get over hills even as a big guy.
- It features twist shifters that are smooth and quick in gearing down or up when you need to change them.
- Mongoose Dolomite MTB has a user height recommendation of 5′ 5″ to 6 feet, but reviewers over 6′ have said you should have no issues.
The Mongoose Dolomite Fat Tire Bike is an excellent MTB for big guys, whether you weight 300, 350, or even 370lbs. The large tires and heavy-duty frame both add to the overall reliability and makes it an excellent choice if you are on the heavy side. It’s also reasonably priced and has excellent reviews all around. As such, we strongly recommend checking it out.
Merax 26″ Mountain Bicycle for Heavy Men
This big man mountain bike is another excellent heavy-duty mountain bicycle for fat guys. It has a weight capacity of 330lbs. Moreover, it’s a 26″ MTB, so it should be very comfortable to ride on for big and heavy guys. If that’s not convincing enough, here are some other reasons to get this one:
Reasons to Buy
- It has high-quality suspension forks that should handle your weight and offer a comfy ride on rough terrains.
- The overall design of the Merax 26″ MTB is very stylish and comes in 2 stunning color schemes.
- The bike features dual disc breaks that provide much better braking than other bikes.
- Merax 26″ Bike has a 24-Speed Shimano Derailleurs
- It has a Finiss road bike style seat that riders found very comfy even for an overweight guy.
What’s not to love about this bike? It offers good weight capacity and looks impressive. Moreover, at the time we published this article, this bike costs less than 500. So if you want a solid bike for a 350-pound man, then this one might be it.
Mongoose Impasse Mens Mountain Bike for heavy Men
The Mongoose Impasse is another excellent mountain bike for a 300lb+ rider. It has large 29-inch wheels and a very sturdy frame structure that can adequately support your body weight. Plus, it comes with two color schemes that both look great.
Reasons to Buy
- This heavy-duty mountain bike is a 29″ full-suspension bike that’s great for big and tall guys.
- It features a single disc brake on both wheels.
- Assembling this bike is very straightforward and won’t take up much time.
- The Mongoose Impasse features internal cable routing, which makes it a little safer on trails as there aren’t any cables getting in your way.
- It is perfect for cyclists between 5’4″ and 6’2″.
- You get 21 gears, which will allow you to get over steep terrains or speed downhills effortlessly.
The Mongoose Impasse is an excellent all-rounder mountain bike. It has a comfy seat that’s height-adjustable and good handlebars. Moreover, it should effortlessly support your body weight.
If there is anything negative to point out, its the clearance between the wheels and the pedals. I’m 6’3″ and had some issues with clearance and my knees when turning the handles. But if you are shorter than that, then you’ll be perfectly fine. Overall, this bike is another great option to consider.
Schwinn Bonafide Review
This Schwinn bike is a bonafide big man mountain bike. It’s has a lot to offer for overweight guys. Plus, it’s a Schwinn bike, so you can rest assured that it’s worth every dollar. With that in mind, I don’t feel like you’ll regret getting this hardtail mountain bike, and I feel very confident recommending this one to you. Here’s why:
Reasons to Buy
- The Schwinn Bonafide sports 29-inch tires that are beady enough to traverse most paths.
- It has alloy rims and single mechanical disc brakes that’ll bring you to a complete stop effortlessly, even considering your weight.
- The bike comes with a 24 speed Shimano EZ-Fire trigger shifter.
- To support fat guys like us, the Schwinn Bonafide features a sturdy aluminum frame.
- A 5-year warranty backs it up for a host of issues.
With this bike, you’ll have no issues shredding trails regardless of how big of a guy you are. This bike is heavy-duty enough to support you even if you weigh over 300 lbs. So you can be confident when you buy it! Plus, with that lengthy warranty covering manufacturing defects, you will have a great MTB if you get this one.
Diamondback MTB for Big Guys
This bike is another hardtail bike for heavy guys that we strongly recommend considering. Its hand-built aluminum frame is very sturdy, and it has large 27.5″ wheels that will support your weight. The only downside is that it’s built for shorter fat guys between 5’4 and 5′ 7″. So if you don’t mind the height limitations, then this one is an excellent option to consider.
Reasons to Buy
- The compact design of this bike allows it to offer better riding performance on mountain trails.
- It features Tektro Aries disc brakes on both wheels.
- Comfort is also pretty good with this bike thanks to the sleek seats and grooved rubber handlebar grips.
- The Diamondback features an XCM 120MM suspension fork and 1×8 drivetrain that’s just enough to easily get you over terrains.
- It has been touted as one of the best 1×8 drivetrain MTBs.
If you are looking for a decent entry-level mountain bike, this one isn’t a bad choice. Like most Diamondback bikes, this one also has a recommended weight rating of up to 300 lbs. And although the recommended height is up to 5’7″ even if you are taller, you should be fine on this bike.
Schwinn S29 Dual Suspension Mountain Bike Review
The Schwinn S29 is one of our favorite MTBs for heavy guys. It provides the top quality build that Schwinn is known for providing with their bikes. Moreover, it’s a very affordable bike when you consider all the features that it offers. So if you want a good mountain bike for a big guy while on a budget, then this is it!
Reasons to Buy
- This bike is a great trail bike all around and good enough to support overweight guys.
- It features Schwinn’s alloy triple crankset and a Shimano 7-speed freewheel.
- The drivetrain offered with the bike is a 21 gear Shimano EZ-Fire Trigger shifter.
- The bike features an aluminum dual-suspension frame with a rear shock and front suspension fork.
You won’t go wrong buying this bike. Not only is it a good budget-friendly mountain bike, but it also has all the high-end features, you would expect a more expensive bike to have. Considering that it’s a heavy-duty bike that is very affordable, we think it’s worth its spot on the list.
Mongoose Vinson Fat Tire Mountain Bike for Big Men
As an overweight guy getting a fat tire mountain bike is always a great option. And the Mongoose Vinson MTB is a great choice where fat-tire bikes are concerned. This bike is very reliable and heavy-duty enough to support any big guy around.
Reasons to Buy
- This bike has an aluminum bike frame that is bulky and looks really heavy duty.
- It features a 24 speed SRAM X4 trigger shifter.
- With the Mongoose Vinson, you get 4 inch wide tires that are perfectly suitable to bear your weight and traverse any terrain.
- It has dual mechanical disc brakes that will get you to quick stops responsively.
- The wheels on this bike are 24-inch wheels.
- Mongoose bikes are traditionally known to be comfortable to ride and perfect cruisers.
If you love men’s fat-tire mountain bikes, then this one from Mongoose is an excellent bike for the money. Its high-quality aluminum build is more than adequate to support your body weight. And the features are all there to offer you a solid performance.
Schwinn Protocol 1.0 Dual-Suspension Mountain Bike
The last bike on the list is the Schwinn Protocol 1.0 MTB. This bike might not seem like much, but it’s built very well and can easily handle big guys over 300 lbs. Moreover, it has all the features of a good mountain bike to back it up.
Reasons to Buy
- The Schwinn Protocol bike offers 24 Speed Shimano EZ-Fire trigger shifters.
- It has a Shimano rear derailleur that provides silky smooth gear shifting.
- The bike has both front and rear disc brakes.
- It is one of the top full suspension mountain bikes that can support heavy guys.
- This bike has a manufacturer’s warranty that covers most aspects of the bike.
The Schwinn Protocol 1.0 is an excellent full suspension mtb that’s very well suited to heavier guides. It’s very easy to assemble and looks great once it’s built up. Moreover, it will be able to support a heavy person with no issues.
Before Buying a Mountain bike for Big Men
While most persons can just jump on any type of bike, big guys must first consider a few important things. Let’s get into them:
One of the first things you should always consider as a heavy rider is how much you weigh. Knowing your weight will go a long way in helping you choose the right bike and preserving the bike you choose. The recommendation is that you always go with a bike that is +/- 50 lbs of your body weight.
By doing that, you would, in most instances, be fine. The truth is that most bikes support riders up to 350 lbs, but they typically only test up to 250 – 300 lbs. So while the bike you like heavy-duty mountain bike you want might not show that it supports your weight, as long as you weigh within the range, you’ll be fine. You can also check out the custom made bikes from popular retailers like ZiZe.
Getting a bike with enough tire width, treading, and size is also important for heavy men. Without the right size wheels, you are likely to either hurt yourself or damage the bikes. As such, you should get a mountain bike with tires with enough room to bear your weight.
Without the right frame material to support your weight, you should expect to have issues. Frames come in many different types and qualities, so make sure you pay attention to getting a bike with a heavy-duty frame. The good news is that it’s pretty easy to find a bike with a sturdy frame by simply looking at the bike’s weight capacity as most of the weight is held up by the framework.
As an overweight guy, most of the products that support our weight are often more expensive than those for lighter individuals. But that doesn’t mean you have to buy the super costly bikes. Most of the bikes on this list of best mountain bikes for big guys are very affordable. So you shouldn’t have any concerns in that regard.
Frequently Asked Questions about Mountain bikes for Fat Guys.
Can you be too heavy to ride a bike?
Yes and No. Yes, you can be too heavy to ride a bike with a weight capacity far below your body weight. And No, because there are bikes around for persons of different weight limits.
Can a 400-pound person ride a bike?
Yes, a 400-pound person can ride a bike if they know how to and find a suitable bike that supports a 400 lb weight limit. In most cases, fat tire mountain bikes for 400 lb persons are the perfect fit.
Is a fat bike hard to ride?
No, fat tire bikes aren’t necessarily hard to ride. It’s a little easier to ride in general. Moreover, they provide a more comfortable ride overall.
The Bottom Line
Finding the best mountain bikes for heavy riders shouldn’t be an issue any longer. The MTBs listed above are all heavy-duty bikes that support big men. Moreover, they are all from the top bike brands and have plenty of features to offer.
With that in mind, you can just go ahead and choose the one you think best suits your requirements. Happy riding!